A blanket for my Bestie

This Labor Day weekend we got away from campus and enjoyed spending time with my cousin Meghan and her husband Derek. God gave me a wonderful friend in Meghan. My 3-year-old son has recently memorized Proverbs 17:17 and has been saying it over and over again while he plays. "Uh fwend loves at awe times".  This rings true for us. We've been best friends pretty much from birth and she has loved me through it all and we have always stayed close. She may be my cousin but she has been like a sister to me.



Since she has been my best friend since forever, she stood next to me as my maid of honor on my wedding day and I had the same privilege to stand up for her. Let's just say she has a significant influence in my life and a special place in my heart and Lord willing she always will. 

Last year I made her a blanket for Christmas. She displays it in her living room and it goes so well with her gray couch and pillows. I love the texture of the blanket. It's not a huge blanket but perfect for one. It has held up really well and has been washed and dried and even hung up as a temporary curtain.



I purchased the yarn at Joann Fabric. I didn't want to use the Red Heart yarn because it's rough and has a plastic feeling if you don't prewash it. So I bought Joann's brand, Big Twist because it was soft and sturdy and it came in some lovely colors.





PATTERN: 

Abbreviations:
CH chain
ST stitch 
SC single crochet 
HDC half double crochet 
C1 color 1 (Navy Blue)
C2 color 2 (Light Gray)
C3 color 3 (Marigold Yellow)
C4  color 4 (White)
C5  color 5 (Teal)
CC color change 

In C1 CH 151

ROW 1: 2nd st from hook 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC (continue until you reach the end of the row) CH 1 turn (150 st) 

ROW 2: 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC continue until you reach the end of the row, last st  in every row should be a HDC) CC (150st) 

ROW 3: In C2 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC, cont. until you reach the end of the row, ch 1 turn (150st)

ROW 4: 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC, cont. until you reach the end of the row, CC to C3  (150 st.)

ROW 5: In C3 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC, cont. until you reach the end of the row, ch 1 turn. (150st)

ROW 6: 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC, cont until you reach the end of the row, CC to C4 (150st)

Row 7: In C4, 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC, cont. until you reach the end of the row, ch 1 turn (150st)

ROW 8: 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC, cont. until you reach the end of the row, CC to C5

ROW 9: In C5, 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC, cont. until you reach the end of the row, ch 1 turn (150st)

ROW 10: 1 SC, 1 HDC, 1 SC, 1 HDC, cont until you reach the end of the row, CC to C1

Repeat rows 1-10 until you reach the desired length 

At the very last row which should C5 add a border of 150 SC across 


Hope you enjoyed reading my rambles about my childhood friend as well as the free pattern!  It's quick, easy, and makes a wonderful gift. Send me pictures of your version. I'd love to hear from you! 

~Kalla





Comments

Popular Posts